Tuesday, April 22, 2014

{Book Review} For the Terrible Two - The Way I Feel and The Way I Act


I often hear parents complaint about Terrible Two stage of their little ones. The little ones being difficult, being cranky, unreasonable and causing the parents to loose control. Touch wood, thing was rather smooth for us with my Captain E when he was young, while it is not exactly easy with my Princess C who is nearly 2.5 years old now, she is still manageable. We had our fair share of challenges, but the fact that they were both rather expressive of their feeling and need, the Terrible Two was not, and is not that terrible after all.


Here are 2 of the books that I think had helped and would be most useful for parents with young toddlers or preschoolers:



  • The Way I Feel, by Janan Cain
  • The Way I Act, illustrated by Janan Cain and verses by Steve Mertgez
The Way I Feel
by Janan Cair


The Way I Feel 

"Feelings come and feelings go.
I never know what they'll be.
Silly or angry, happy or sad -
They're all a part of me!"

This board book teaches little ones to understand their feeling and emotions, which any toddler commonly face but may not be able to tell. Emotions are neither good nor bad, they are all just apart of us. This book covers the most basic oneslike:


Happy... 

Angry... 
Silly... 
Sad.. 
Thankful.. 
Jealous.. 
Scared.. 
Disappointed.. 

The fun drawing and short description makes it easy for little ones to understand and relate to their own feelings. When the little ones are able to better express themselves, instead of being often misunderstood by the adults, you may find them more manageable and 'reasonable' to some extend.


Here are some of the abstracts..








The Way I Act

When my little Captain was around 4.5 years old, I introduced him to the another book instead - The Way I Act.


This board book is a sequel to the previous book. It uses simple verses and colorful drawing to explain the character traits like bravery, responsibility, curious, persistent... These may be big words for the little ones, but read with them, explain to them by relating to what they do in their daily life, you may be surprised that our kiddos may actually understand. I like that this book uses easy to understand English that are non-bias and beautiful artwork that most kids would like.




The Way I Act
Illustrated by Janan Cair and verses by Steve Metzger


If you have a young toddler or kindergartener at home and you enjoy reading to them, do give these books a try. I got them from scholastic but you can always find this in local bookstores, online sources or purchase from AppStore too so you can read it anytime, anyway. You may also check out other publications by Janan Cain here.


May these books help you to coach your little ones to understand their emotions and behavior, so instead of a Terrible Two, you have a toddler with Terrific Two instead. ;)


Where to get the book? check out these online store if you are too lazy to visit a book store..
MPH Online 
Book Depository (Free worldwide delivery)
Amazon.com

Happy reading!


Copyrights © Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones, 2012 - present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any materials/photos within this website without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment