Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tiered Ruffle Dress for Little Miss Sunshine 可爱叠叠裙


My itchy fingers at work again last night.

I made this fluffy 3 tier sundress for baby Claire, using 2 different shades of yellow to outline the ruffle effect. Isn't it looking sweet and delightful?



The back view. Instead of buttons or zip, I used elastic band for the back, so the dress can wear on easily without much rustling with my mighty baby girl.




It's a really fluffy dress, look at the full length when spread out... A total of 200cm was used for the bottom layer!



Oh I just can't wait to put it onto her, she will definitely look like Little Miss Sunshine or a little sunflower fairy :)

I had a similar dress when I was young, but in dark blue and light blue tone. Let me search for that picture and scan it. I am really aspired to make her a Mini Me, ain't I? *evil laugh*

I sewn on 2 yellow flower buttons on the chest front, just lovely...



As I tried the dress onto my little sunshine, it was too tight on both sides, so I made some alteration by making an opening under-arm and sewn an elastic band with a button to hold them together. Now it fits perfectly. :)




Made these bow knot hair clips few nights ago, they matches this sundress perfectly.



Interested to Try Making One Too?
Making this dress is easier than I expected, however a considerable amount of time was spent on hemming the edges of each layer. I made it without a pattern so I'm glad it turned out alright. This is definitely a break through in my sewing skill. :)

If you are attempting this for the first time, I would recommend these are some of the essential skills you should have before you begin to make a ruffled dress:



  • Ability to ruffle. Basically is to sew a loose straight line and pulling both ends to tighten the thread and create a wavy effect.

  • Ability to hem. If you do not have a machine that does serger, like me, you'll need to hem the edges of the dress properly using a zigzag pattern to avoid fray.



Here's some of the tutorials that may will be useful to any one who wants to attempt this dress.

How to sew a 3 tier ruffle dress 
How to sew ruffle by makeit-loveit.com

Happy sewing!





Copyrights © Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones, 2012 - present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any materials/photos within this website without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment