Monday, March 17, 2014

{Tutorial} A Handy Tote for my Old Ma


My old ma had been unwell for a while, we had been visiting hospital frequently with her and I noticed she needs a bigger bag to carry her personal belongings. So, I spent the Sunday afternoon to make her this handy tote bag while the kids busy entertaining themselves - playing blocks, singing songs from Frozen and  had fun video-graphing themselves over and over again. I was the only fortunate audience that afternoon. 

The tote bag comes with 3 front pockets for storing her water bottle, mobile phone and umbrella. The 2 side loops are for hanging keys or just for decorative purpose. I used the same magnetic buckle which I used for the modern nappy bag I made for myself last year.



Have I mentioned that few custom nappy bags were made for some proud owners too? The happiness was when I received their thank you notes, at least my design had been pretty useful to some ladies out there. *smile*

This tote comes with a large internal compartment in matching fabric for her medicine and cardigan that she always bring along.


Complete with my label on the handle.. *always a moment of pride*


I kept to a simple design as my old ma doesn't like anything elaborate (so do I, like mother like daughter!).

Hope my old ma likes it and may God bless her abundantly and grant her speedy recovery. 


In case you would like to make one too.... 

Tutorial

I did not prepared a pictorial tutorial as I was making this in a rush, I wanted mom to be able to use it for the next appointment. However, here's a simple step-by-step sketching that explains the design. I assume you have some basic in sewing before you try to understand this drawing...:

You shall need:
  • 1/2 yard of thick cotton for the tote bodice
  • 1/4 yard of medium weight batting for the insert
  • 1/4 yard of matching or contrasting fabric for the front pocket and handle. 
  • 1 magnetic buckle or replaced with a loop and large button
  • Threads in matching color
  • A sewing machine
This tote bag is of the right size to fit an A4 document.

That's it, feel free to drop me a message below if you have any questions about making this tote!




Copyrights © Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones, 2012 - present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any materials/photos within this website without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones with appropriate and specific direction to the original content

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Geleen, it is easy indeed. Could have finished within 3 hours without interruption. :)

      Delete
  2. So cute!! My sewing machine terrifies me, but the things you can make with it keeps me from giving up. This pattern will be worth the try! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking! Hope the pattern make sense to you as it's rather simplified. :)

      Delete