Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My First Baby Dress! Confession of a Newbie


Two years ago, we had a neighbor who made beautiful pieces for her little girls, from simple floral print blouse to playful round skirt and full length dress, all in vibrant and attractive textiles that she collected during her overseas trips. I really admired her ability to sew as I was a total idiot in sewing. All I knew was sewing buttons and fixing loose ends on our clothes using needle and thread. Period. Nothing more, nothing less. Even the blouse which I got a good grade for my school project, was done by my "substitute" - my sister. :)

So, with the mindset that sewing is an impossible task for an IT professional like me, making a dress for my own kids remain a dream that I kept to myself. Until, a week ago.

I came across a website with wonderful handmade kids wear, from simple tops to dazzling summer dresses, I was just so impressed beyond words. Those are the EXACT pieces that I wish my baby girl could be wearing and that was the main push factor that got me thinking -- Perhaps I can try to tailor baby dress for my little ones too. If I failed it only cost me some monies and time, but if I do succeed that is a nice skill to acquire and both my kiddo will benefit from it.

Feeling bedazzled, I spent the next few hours browsing websites after websites that night, from midnight until 4am only I fell asleep with a big plan in my heart.

The next day, I started asking around if anyone has a sewing machine for loan. My sweet sister in law borrowed me her Singer Featherweight II, with a box of sewing kits and a manual, my journey to making my baby's first dress started. I spent the first night learning the basic on operating the machine for a few hours. The following day, I bought some fabrics and at night when my duo were asleep, I spent 5 hours to complete the following dress for my baby girl from scratch.






My friends and family were all amazed when they saw this dress, especially my mama who found it hard to believe that I made this, fully self taught. she never expected her little girl (who's not so little now), is actually able to sew something decent. It was priceless to see that surprise expression on her face :)

No doubt the dress has many flaws, need improvements here and there, but I find my little girl looking really sweet in it.



I altered the dress later by making it shorter and added buttons on the shoulder straps as pattern. This dress can now be worn both ways with different designs. I kept the shoulder straps flexible by using buttons instead of sewing them up, so as baby grows taller I can just adjust the buttons to fit her height. Smart idea? Learnt it from the website too :) The original design I saw was using tie up knots at the shoulders, but I though this design is more comfortable. 

On the same night, I made a pillow case for my elder boy too. He really loved it as he was the one who picked the fabric design, he actually kissed the hearts on the pillow when yelling "I like this mommy!". All the late hours I spent on the sewing machine were fully paid off with his smiles and kisses.







These are the websites that truly inspired me and gave me the clear ideas what I want to make for my duo. Hope you find them useful too.




  • Made By Rae
    http://www.made-by-rae.com/
    Rae produced the most wonderful children clothes that made me drool. She provides some patterns for free on her website so if you are keen, do download, print it and you can start sewing right away.




  • No Big Dill
    http://www.nobigdill.com/
    This mother of 6 shares a lot inspiring and creative designs for her kids. Her website has a lot more interesting reads than just about sewing and she took great pictures of her kids.




  • Lizzie House
    http://lizzyhouse.typepad.com/
    Lizzie has such beautiful fabric collections that are delightful to the eyes, if only we have such fabrics in Malaysia too.




  • Owly Baby
    http://owlybaby.blogspot.com/
    Her works are mainly for sale, I spent the night browsing and admiring the designs although the they are not as extensive as the above sites.




  • Sew Mama Sew
    http://www.sewmamasew.com/
    Sew Mama Sew! Is a really resourceful site that provides a lot of free tutorials, patterns from clothing to accessories to fabric. Simply resourceful!


    What Next?
    If you are a newbie in sewing just like me and would like to try out your crafty genes, here are some advises that I can think off:

    1. Have the design in mind before you begin. Unless you have learnt the technique of pattern cutting, it's probably easiest if you have an exact piece of clothes with you, you can then use it as a prototype to cut out your pattern. Open up your kiddo's wardrobe and pick a piece as sample. Below was my pick, a gift from our dearest aunty from Down Under.





    2. Don't start working on the dress right away. Have some patience and practice sewing lines on a piece of old cloths first. It's important to ensure you know how to handle straight lines, curve lines, can confidently load thread and wind the bobbin when it's empty.

    This was my first piece of "beginner's sewing trial" that I used for practice on first night, it's cut out from one of my maternity top that I was about to throw away. Recycled for good purpose now.



    Need to understand more? Just refer to some of these YouTube videos. I basically relied on these video and the Singer's operation manual to complete the dress.

  • Sewing Basics 1: How to thread your machine
    View video here




  • How to Use your Sewing Machine (for Beginners)
    View video here

  • 3. When cutting the fabric, pay attention to detail, mark with pencil if you need to. For example:





  • ensure pattern is facing up. Unless you intentionally want an upside down bunny, do check to ensure it's facing up before you out the needle down.
  • when using lined prints, ensure lines are properly aligned and in same direction.
  • cut the fabric so pattern on the fabric are well positioned in the end result. For example, it will definitely look nicer to have the flower in the middle of the chest rather than below the armpit.


  • Refer to Made By Rae website for pictorial guide on cutting the pattern


    4. Work only when your LO is asleep so you can stay focused and undisturbed. I tried making a pair of beach pant for my boy while baby C was playing next to me, she kept crying for attention that I wrongly stitched the lap pieces together. I had to spend a good 15 minutes undoing my mistake after putting my cranky baby to bed.


    5. Make sure you have a big, flat surface to cut the fabric, about the size of a normal office worktop.


    Ending Note
    Where I live, beautiful children dresses with fine finishing only available in major shopping malls and easily cost between RM100-RM200, most of the time baby outgrow these dresses within 2-3 months. Some clothes I bought only wore no more than 3 times before I have to shelve them up. So learning to sew may have the benefit of saving us a few bucks, but what really matter to me is the satisfaction when seeing my little ones looking oh-so-pretty or oh-so-happy in my handmade creation. It's simply happiness that money can't buy.

    Here are some of the fabrics I bought which cost me around RM120, if I'm lucky I can probably churn at least 10 pieces of creations for my duo (note: sewing project B already started but temporary on hold as I'm up to something else).





    That's the end of my story on how I started sewing and made the first dress. Hope you find your passion and put it into action too. Like Tony Fernandes said - "Impossible is Nothing" or the old Chinese saying, "有志者事竟成", I couldn't agree more.


    Just one last thing...
    I'm writing this post merely from my viewpoint as a novice newbie with absolutely no foundation in sewing. So I will advice you to read this only as a sharing and not as a source of learning reference if you are considering sewing as a profession or serious hobby.




    Copyrights © Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones, 2012 - present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any materials/photos within this website without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Pui Hua and Fun With Little Ones with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment